Safari Ltd Whale Shark Wild Safari SeaLife
Whale sharks are found in tropical waters and shallow coastal areas in oceans around the world, as well as in lagoons near coral reefs. The whale shark is the largest nonmammalian vertebrate on the planet, and can grow to lengths of over 40 feet.
- Scientific Name: Rhincodon typus
- Characteristics: Despite their immense size, whale sharks are incredibly docile and divers often swim alongside them. The next best thing to going on an underwater adventure with this amazing animal, our whale shark model brings the deep blue sea right to your living room.
- Size and Color: Whale sharks have striped gray, blue, or brown skin with white spots, as well as a white underside. Measuring 7.25 inches long and 2.25 inches tall, this model is roughly the size of a 16 oz. water bottle on its side.
- The Whale Shark is part of the Wild Safari® Sea Life collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
While there is no concrete figure for the global whale shark population, they are classified as endangered by the IUCN and their numbers are believed to be decreasing. They are primarily impacted by fisheries where they often end up as bycatch. Areas of high boat traffic, such as shipping lanes, also pose a significant threat to whale shark, as they are fairly slow moving and can easily collide with vessels. Thankfully, the whale shark is protected under a number of international agreements in regards to preserving marine species.
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 18.5 L x 9 W x 5.75 H
- Size in inches: 7.28 L x 3.54 W x 2.26 H
- UPC: 095866422103